- The Washington Times - Thursday, August 20, 2026

Kalshi bettors picked Alina Habba as the favorite to replace Karoline Leavitt as White House press secretary, but President Trump’s former personal attorney quashed rumors she’s taking the role.

Ms. Habba, who had been considered for the position when Mr. Trump was heading back to the White House, said Wednesday that she’s “flattered” by the odds, but “I’m not in the running for any job.

“However, if I’m getting a new one, I’d love for one of these anonymous sources to let me know first,” she quipped on social media.



Her denial subsequently boosted CNN political commentator Scott Jennings’s odds on the prediction market platform.

Ms. Leavitt will step down from her official role at the podium at the end of August as she plans to spend more time with her young family following the birth of her second child in May.

The 28-year-old will transition to become one of the president’s top outside advisers and an active voice supporting the Republican Party ahead of the midterm elections.

Her replacement has yet to be named, but that has not stopped speculation and prediction market bets from offering up contenders.

Kalshi trades gave Ms. Habba a 39% chance of being tapped to be the White House’s official spokesperson before she dismissed the idea.

Advertisement
Advertisement

After she opted out of the running, Mr. Jennings became the new favorite, followed by Ms. Leavitt’s principal deputy press secretary, Anna Kelly.

After Mr. Trump reportedly told advisers he would prefer a man to fill Ms. Leavitt’s position, Mr. Jennings’ odds shot up to 37%.

Rather than immediately appointing a single successor, the Trump administration may cycle through a rotating cast of high-profile administration officials to conduct press briefings, repeating the strategy used this year when Ms. Leavitt was on maternity leave.

Contact the author

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.